06 Mar 11 ways to define Rhythm
Posted at 17:11h in day to day, inspiration 7 Comments
1. movement or procedure with uniform or patterned recurrence of a beat, accent, or the like.
2. the pattern of regular or irregular pulses caused in music by the occurrence of strong and weak melodic and harmonic beats.
3. measured movement, as in dancing.
4. a patterned repetition of a motif, formal element, etc., at regular or irregular intervals in the same or a modified form.
5. the effect produced in a play, film, novel, etc., by the combination or arrangement of formal elements to create movement, tension, and emotional value in the development of the plot.
6. a harmonious sequence or pattern of masses alternating with voids, of light alternating with shade, of alternating colours, etc
7. the pattern of recurrent strong and weak accents, vocalization and silence, and the distribution and combination of these elements in speech.
8. the regular recurrence of an action or function, as of the beat of the heart.
9. procedure marked by the regular recurrence of particular elements, phases, etc.: the rhythm of the seasons.
10. regular recurrence of elements in a system of motion.
11. synonyms: flow, pulse, cadence
Now, more than ever I need to read these definitions again and again. I need to foucs on the concept of keeping and relying on rhythm to stay on track in a way that feels good to me. To keep moving in a postive, forward, slow and steady motion.
The busier life gets, the more I need rhythm to help me keep my focus, to help me stay grounded and help keep me breathing.
What do you need to focus on to keep things moving in postive direcetion?
chrisPosted at 01:58h, 07 March
Caffeine, plain and simple. 😉
scarvesPosted at 09:20h, 07 March
Titanium Necklaces Titanium Necklaces
March 8 is coming, wish friends a happy holiday for all women, you as a mother, wife and daughter is hard, thank you!besides,thanks for your sharing!
Joy in MotionPosted at 17:15h, 07 March
I'm a dancer, so I definitely relate to the need and desire for rhythm. I love all your definitions! For me, I find that I need movement and challenge. My body needs action, my mind needs stimulation, and for some reason these things result in an incredible stillness in my spirit.
I really like definition #7 above because it alludes to the peace that comes from the resolution of opposites. Speech and silence (speaking and listening), light and shade, movement and stillness, etc. I think you're right that rhythm keeps us grounded, focused, and breathing. Maybe because it reminds us that everything passes, a truth that is actually quite liberating and frees us to live in the moment.
taraPosted at 17:53h, 07 March
rhythm is such a great word choice, and one that never would have occurred to me. i love reading all of the definitions.
i'm propelled by baby steps right now. i need to be conscious of not taking on more than i can handle and i need to be kind to myself with the understanding that i can't go full throttle at this point in time. (plus babies grow soooo fast so instead of fast-forwarding, i want to focus on being present for each little step along the way.)
snippets of thymePosted at 22:04h, 08 March
Thank you so much for commenting on my blog. Quite the emotions this year! I must say that I am absorbing your blog as fast as I can inbetween (real life) responsibilities today. I feel a driving need to become a better photographer. I am such a newbie and my head aches with the desire to understand photography terms more. I am scared to death to take my camera off of full auto. I still can't figure out F stop completely. I submitted photos to FoodGawker (all declined) so I moped around this morning wallowing in self pity. I am all arsy-fartsy and non techy at all so I am intimidated. Anyway, didn't mean to leave a chapter on your blog. I just wanted to say that I am running through your blog and will try to find my place here and see what I can learn from the experts out there. Thank you!!
red or grayPosted at 03:55h, 09 March
oh this is a really nice post to read .. relish the definition.. I posted tonight smooth stones .. with a shape of a heart and a bit of paper..these move me forward in a gentle way
rawqueenPosted at 20:11h, 10 March
Blessings Tracey! Thank you for this fabulous post! I need to focus on creating, producing and breathing. ahhhhh and ommmmm…